Security & Privacy
Posted on : 04 May, 2022 | Last Update - 9 months ago
What is a Secret Recovery Phrase?
Your Secret Recovery Phrase is a 12-word phrase that is the “master key” to your wallet and your funds
How do I save my Secret Recovery Phrase?
- Save in a password manager
- Store in a bank vault
- Store in a safe deposit box
- Write down and store in multiple secret places
Should I share my Secret Recovery Phrase? Never, ever share your Secret Recovery Phrase, not even with MetaMask!
If someone asks for your recovery phrase, they are likely trying to scam you and steal your wallet funds.
Store this phrase in a password manager like 1Password.
Write this phrase on a piece of paper and store in a secure location. If you want even more security, write it down on multiple pieces of paper and store each in 2 - 3 different locations.
Memorize this phrase.
Download this Secret Recovery Phrase and keep it stored safely on an external encrypted hard drive or storage medium.
Your Secret Recovery Phrase makes it easy to back up and restore your account.
WARNING: Never disclose your Secret Recovery Phrase. Anyone with this phrase can take your Ether forever.
Tips on storing it safely
• Save a backup in multiple places.
• Never share the phrase with anyone.
• Be careful of phishing! MetaMask will never spontaneously ask for your Secret Recovery Phrase.
• If you need to back up your Secret Recovery Phrase again, you can find it in Settings -> Security.
• If you ever have questions or see something fishy, contact our support here.
*MetaMask cannot recover your Secret Recovery Phrase. Learn more.
Still No Luck ? We can help you
Create a ticket, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.Submit a Ticket